Place:


Crowhurst  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crowhurst like this:

CROWHURST, a parish in Battle district, Sussex; on the Tunbridge Wells and Hastings railway, 2¼ miles S of Battle. It has a post office under Battle. Acres, 2, 160. Real property, £2, 311. Pop., 430. Houses, 76. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Harold, in the time of Edward the Confessor; was held by Walter de Scotney, in the time of Henry III.; and passed to the Pelhams. ...


Remains exist of a manor-house, in late early English architecture, supposed to have been built by Walter de Scotney. Crowhurst Place was long the seat of the Pelhams; and is now the seat of T. Papillon, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £177.* Patron, T. Papillon, Esq. The church was partly rebuilt in 1794; and is very good. A yew tree in the churchyard is 27 feet in girth at 4 feet from the ground.

Crowhurst through time

Crowhurst is now part of Rother district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rother has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Crowhurst itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crowhurst, in Rother and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8320

Date accessed: 23rd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Crowhurst ".