Place:


West Chiltington  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Chiltington like this:

CHILTINGTON (West), a parish in Thakeham district, Sussex; 2 miles E by S of Pulborough r. station, and 7½ NW of Steyning. It includes the manor of Chiltington; and has a post office under Hurstperpoint. Acres, 3, 917. Real property, £2, 604. Pop., 668. Houses, 133. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £491.* Patron, the Earl of Abergavenny. An endowed school has £47.

West Chiltington through time

West Chiltington is now part of Horsham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Horsham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Chiltington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Chiltington, in Horsham and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8307

Date accessed: 21st June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Chiltington".