Place:


Watford  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Watford like this:

WATFORD, a parish in Daventry district, Northampton; on Watling-street, the Grand Union canal, and the Northwestern railway, at Crick r. station, 4¾ miles N NE of Daventry. It has a post-office under Rugby. Acres, 3,080. Real property, £7,276. Pop., 450. Houses, 100. The manor, with W. Court, belongs to Lord Henley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £309.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a school, and an education charity £35.

Watford through time

Watford is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Watford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Watford, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8274

Date accessed: 24th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Watford ".