Place:


Warkworth  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warkworth like this:

WARKWORTH, a parish, with a village and four hamlets, in the district of Banbury and county of Northampton; 1½ mile E of Banbury r. station. It has a postal wall-box under Banbury. Acres, 2,370. Real property, £7,047; of which, £500 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 559; in 1861, 1,111. ...


Houses, 242. The increase of pop. was chiefly in Grimsbury, suburban to Banbury; and arose from building operations by a Freehold Land Society. W. manor belongs to J. Smith, Esq.; and Grimsbury manor to the Earl of Ellesmere. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Marston. The church is decorated English. There are a private chapel, a Wesleyan chapel, and handsome schools.

Warkworth through time

Warkworth is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warkworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warkworth in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8271

Date accessed: 27th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warkworth ".