Wansford  Northamptonshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wansford like this:

WANSFORD, a parish, with a village, in the district of Stamford and county of Northampton; on the river Nen, and on the Stamford and Essendine railway, 2 miles N of the junction with the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 8 miles W of Peterborough. It has a head post-office,‡ two r. stations designated Wansford and Wansford-Road, and a bridge celebrated by Drunken Barnaby, originally thirteen-arched, but partly destroyed in 1795 and rebuilt in 1796. ...

Acres, 469. Real property, £950. Pop., 180. Houses, 31. The manor belongs to the Duke of Bedford. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Thornhaugh. The church is ancient.

Wansford through time

Wansford is now part of Peterborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Peterborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wansford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wansford, in Peterborough and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 29th February 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wansford".