Place:


Beddingham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beddingham like this:

BEDDINGHAM, a parish in Lewes district, Sussex; on the river Ouse and on the South Coast railway, near Glynde station, 2½ miles SE of Lewes. It has a post office under Lewes. Acres, 2,918. Real property, £2,857. Pop., 334. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The manor is mentioned in the will of King Alfred; and had a monastery in the beginning of the 9th century. ...


The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of West Firle, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £480. Patrons, the Bishop and the Dean and Chapter of Chichester alternately. The church was restored in 1858.

Beddingham through time

Beddingham is now part of Lewes district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lewes has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Beddingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beddingham, in Lewes and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8235

Date accessed: 15th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Beddingham ".