Place:


Minffrwd  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Minffrwd like this:

PENNANT, or Pennant-Melangell, a township and a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The township lies near the head of the river Tanat, under the Berwyn mountains, 9½ miles N W by W of Llanfyllin r.station. Real property, £1, 418. The parish contains also the townships of Cornorion, Cwmllech, Dwyffrwd, Garthgelymen-fawr, Garthgelymenfechan, and Pangwern. ...


Post-town, Llanfyllin. Acres, 5,000. Real property, £3, 502. Pop., 712. Houses, 147. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Penybont, in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £185.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is ancient but good; includes, in its S wall, four Norman capitals turned upside down; has a very primitive tower; and contains carved woodwork representing the legend of St. Monocella. Charities, £7.

Minffrwd through time

Minffrwd is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Minffrwd itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Minffrwd, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8229

Date accessed: 22nd September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Minffrwd ".