Place:


Whitton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitton like this:

WHITTON-CUM-THURLSTON, a parish in Ipswich district, Suffolk; 1½ mile N of Bramford r. station, and 2 N of Ipswich. Post town, Ipswich. Acres, 1,459. Rated property, £2,578. Pop., 565. Houses, 114. T. Lodge is the seat of Mrs. Steward; Lilburne House, of T. Cheesright, Esq.; and Sparrow's Nest, of S. Westhorp, Esq. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £273.* Patron, the Bishop of N. The church has been recently restored and enlarged.

Whitton through time

Whitton is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitton in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8221

Date accessed: 26th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitton ".