Place:


Kingsley  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingsley like this:

KINGSLEY, a village and a parish in Cheadle district, Stafford. The village occupies a gentle eminence adjacent to the river Churnet and the Uttoxeter canal, ¾ of a mile W of Froghall r. station, and 2¾ NNE of Cheadle; is irregularly built; and has connexion with brass, copper, and colour works. ...


The parish contains also the township of Whiston; and its post town is Cheadle, under Stafford. Acres, 4, 714. Real property, £6, 449; of which £783 are in mines and £141 in iron works. Pop. in 1851, 1, 565; in 1861, 2, 040. Houses, 428. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of ironstone mining operations. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to James Beech, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £350. * Patron, James Beech, Esq. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1821. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, -the latter rebuilt in 1863. There are also an endowed school with £53 a year, and other charities £21.

Kingsley through time

Kingsley is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingsley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingsley in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8207

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingsley ".