Place:


Kings Sutton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kings Sutton like this:

KINGS-SUTTON, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Northampton. The village stands near the river Cherwell, the Oxford canal, the Oxford and Wolverhampton railway, and the boundary with Oxfordshire, 3½ miles N by E of Aynho r. station, and 4¾ SSE of Banbury; and has a post office† under Banbury. ...


The parish includes also the hamlet of Walton, and parts of the hamlets of Astrop, Charlton, and Purston; and is in the district of Brackley. Acres, 3, 850. Real property, £9, 782. Pop., 1, 145. Houses, 270. The manor belongs to Mrs. Willes. The manor house is occupied byT. Willes, Esq.; and Astrop House is the seat of Sir William Brown, Bart. A mineral spring, called St. Rumbald's well, was formerly much visited, but has lost its reputation. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £140.* Patron, Mrs. Willes. The church is later English; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and porches; and has a W tower, with lofty crocketted spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £135.-The hundred contains twenty-one parishes and part of another. Acres, 48, 999. Pop. in 1851, 13, 000; in 1861, 13, 397. Houses, 3, 009.

Kings Sutton through time

Kings Sutton is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kings Sutton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kings Sutton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8194

Date accessed: 27th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kings Sutton ".