Place:


Sulgrave  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sulgrave like this:

SULGRAVE, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Brackley district, Northamp ton. The village stands 3½ miles NNE of Farthinghoe r. station, and 6 NNW of Brackley; and has a postal letter-box under Banbury. -The parish comprises 4,100 acres. Real property, £4,037. Pop., 565. Houses, 123. ...


The property is divided among a few. A tumulus, called Barrow Hill, is about a mile N of the village, and commands an extensive view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £233.* Patron, the Rev. W. Harding. The church is good. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a slightly endowed school, and charities £64.—The sub-district contains 15 parishes. Acres, 27,139. Pop., 5,815. Houses, 1,323.

Sulgrave through time

Sulgrave is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sulgrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sulgrave in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8191

Date accessed: 23rd June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sulgrave".