Place:


Hopton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hopton like this:

HOPTON AND COTON, a township in St. Mary and St. Chad parish, Staffordshire; 2½ miles NE of Stafford. Real property, £5, 086. Pop. in 1851, 468, in 1861, 1, 174. Houses, 93. The increase of pop. arose from the enlargement of the county lunatic asylum, and the erection of the Coton Hill lunatic asylum; and, at the census of 1861, these institutions had respectively 540 and 162 inmates. ...


Hopton Heath here, now enclosed, was the scene of a severe action, in 1643, between the royalists, under the Earl of Horthampton, and the parliamentarians, under Sir John Gell and Sir William Brereton.

Hopton through time

Hopton is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hopton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hopton, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8183

Date accessed: 26th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hopton ".