Place:


Alfriston  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alfriston like this:

ALFRISTON, a village and a parish in Eastbourne district, Sussex. The village stands on the Cuckmere river, 2½ miles S of Berwick r. station, and 8 SE of Lewes. Its name is a corruption of Alfred's Town; and points to ancient entrenchments in the neighbourhood, formed by King Alfred. It has a post office under Lewes; and it formerly had two fairs. ...


The Star Inn here, a building about 360 years old, contains some curious sculptures. The parish comprises 2,425 acres. Real property, £2,617. Pop., 522. Houses, 113. The manor belonged anciently to Michelham priory. The property is subdivided. Two fine varieties of apples, one of them called the Alfriston apple, are grown. Roman coins and Anglo-Saxon sceattas have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £135. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly decorated English, and has stone stalls and an ancient tomb. There is an Independent chapel.

Alfriston through time

Alfriston is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alfriston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alfriston, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8160

Date accessed: 15th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alfriston ".