Place:


Yoxford  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Yoxford like this:

YOXFORD, a village and a parish in Blything district, Suffolk. The village stands 1 mile WNW of Darsham r. station, and 4 N of Saxmundham; is a seat of petty-sessions, and the head-quarters of the East Suffolk constabulary; and has a post-office‡ under Saxmundham, and two inns. The parish comprises 2,724 acres. ...


Real property, £6,573. Pop. in 1851, 1,272; in 1861, 1,111. Houses, 254. Cockfield Hall is the seat of Sir J. R. Blois, Bart.; and Grove house , the Rookery, Elmsley, and Satis House are other chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £230. Patron, J. Dutton, Esq. The church is later English, and was reseated and improved in 1868. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, a mechanics' institute, and charities £10.

Yoxford through time

Yoxford is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Yoxford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Yoxford in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8139

Date accessed: 23rd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Yoxford ".