Place:


Wrentham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wrentham like this:

WRENTHAM, a parish, with a scattered village, in Blything district, Suffolk; 3 miles NNE of Wangford, and 5 E of Brampton r. station. It has a post-office‡ under Wangford. Acres, 2,303. Real property, £5,011. Pop., 1,051. Houses, 239. The manor belongs to Sir E. S. Gooch, Bart. W. ...


Hall stands in the village, and was completed in 1862. Hill house is the seat of H. Blackham, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £586.* Patron, Sir E. S. Gooch, Bart. The church is old and handsome; and has a lofty tower, which was used as a beacon-post during the threatened French invasion. There are national and British schools, a lecture hall and reading room of 1858, and charities £52.

Wrentham through time

Wrentham is now part of Waveney district. Click here for graphs and data of how Waveney has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wrentham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wrentham, in Waveney and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8133

Date accessed: 27th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wrentham ".