Place:


Preston Capes  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston Capes like this:

PRESTON-CAPES, a village and a parish in Daventry district, Northampton. The village stands 5 miles S W of Weedon r. station, and 5 S of Daventry; and has a post-office under Daventry. The parish contains also the hamlet of Little Preston, and comprises 2, 280 acres. Real property, £3, 856. ...


Pop., 320. Houses, 68. The property is divided among a few. The manor, with Fawsley Park, belongs to SirKnightley, Bart. A Cluniac priory was founded here, in 1090, by Hugh de Leycester; and was removed to Daventry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £412.* Patron, SirKnightley, Bart. The church is of the 14th century, with a tower; is nearly all coveredwith ivy; and was repaired in 1853. There are a boys'endowed school with £27 a year, a girls' charity school, and charities £12.

Preston Capes through time

Preston Capes is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Preston Capes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston Capes, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8129

Date accessed: 30th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Preston Capes".