Place:


Pitsford  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pitsford like this:

PISFORD, or Pitsford, a village and a parish in Brixworth district, Northamptonshire. The village stands 1½ mile E S E of Spratton r. station, and 5 N of Northampton; and has a post-office under Northampton. The parish comprises 2, 700 acres. Real property, £3, 486. Pop., 609. Houses, 133. ...


The manor belongs to Col. R. H. Vyse. Limestone is found, and springsare very numerous. An ancient camp is at Barrow-Dykes; and a tumulus is at Longmans Hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £379.* Patron, Col. R. H. Vyse. The church has a Norman door; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with S porch and low W tower; and was recently restored and enlarged. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £5. The father of Bishop Skinnerwas rector and a native.

Pitsford through time

Pitsford is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pitsford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pitsford, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8122

Date accessed: 22nd January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pitsford ".