Place:


Great Oxendon  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Oxendon like this:

OXENDON (Great), a village and a parish in the district of Market-Harborough and county of Northampton. The village stands ½ a mile W of the Northampton and . Market-Harborough railway, 2¾ miles S of Market-Harborough; and has a station, jointly with Clipstone, on the railway, and a post-office, of the name of Oxendon, under Northampton. ...


The parish comprises 1, 620 acres. Real property, £3, 173. Pop., 238. Houses, 54. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £410.* Patron, the Rev. E. Parker. The church is ancient, has anembattled tower, contains an effigies of Lady Gorges, and stands ¼ of a mile from the village. There are a dissenting chapel, and a parochial school. Morton, whowrote the " Natural History of Northamptonshire, " wasrector.

Great Oxendon through time

Great Oxendon is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Oxendon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Oxendon, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8114

Date accessed: 12th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Oxendon".