Place:


Grindon  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grindon like this:

GRINDON, a township and a parish in Leek district, Stafford. The township lies between the rivers Manifold and Hamps, 6 miles NE of Froghall r. station, and 8 ESE of Leek. Real property, £2, 726. Pop. in 1851, 236. house, 40. The parish includes also the hamlets of Deepdale, Ford, Hillsdale, and Martinslow; and its posttown is Leek. ...


Acres, 3, 229. Real property, £5, 243. Pop. in 1851, 381; in 1861, 371. house, 70. A small tract is common. Limestone is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. Henry John Stokes. The church was recently rebuilt, and has a tower with an octagonal spire. There are an endowed school, and charities £31.

Grindon through time

Grindon is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Grindon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grindon in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8100

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Grindon ".