Place:


Field  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Field like this:

FIELD, a township in Leigh parish, Stafford; on the river Blithe, 4½ miles W of Uttoxeter. Real property, £1, 387. Pop., 84. Houses, 12. The manor belonged to the Pipes, and passed to the Bagots. A wych-elm was felled here in 1680, so large that two able workmen took five days to cut it down. Its length was 120 feet; its girth, at the base, 52 feet; its girth, at the middle, 25½ feet. Its branches furnished upwards of 60 loads of fire-wood; and its timber weighed about 100 tons, and furnished 80 pairs of naves for wheels, and 8, 000 feet of boards and planks.

Field through time

Field is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Field itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Field in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8067

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Field ".