Arlecdon  Cumberland


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Arlecdon like this:

ARLECDON, a parish in Whitehaven district, Cumberland; 4¾ miles E by N of Parton r. station, and 5½ ENE of Whitehaven. It includes the townships of Frizington and Whillymore; and its Post Town is Whitehaven. Acres, 5,700. Real property, £18,793,-of which £15,407 are in mines. ...

Pop., 1,550. Houses, 254. The property is much subdivided. Coal, lime, and ironstone are worked; and there is a good chaly beate spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church was built in 1829. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Arlecdon through time

Arlecdon is now part of Copeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Copeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Arlecdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Arlecdon, in Copeland and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 24th June 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Arlecdon".