Place:


Lilbourne  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lilbourne like this:

LILBOURNE, a village and a parish in the district of Rugby and county of Northampton. The village stands on the river Avon, near the Market-Harborough and Rugby railway, near Watling-street, and near the meeting-point of Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, and Warwickshire, 4 miles ENE of Rugby; and has a station on the railway. ...


The parish comprises 1,920 acres. Post town, Rugby. Real property, £3,551. Pop., 292. Houses, 68. The property is chiefly divided among six. The manor belongs to Corbet Smith, Esq. Extensive tumuli are in a field at the E end of the church. An engagement between the Danes and the Saxons is said to have been fought at Roundhill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £155.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church consists of nave, a isles, and chancel, with low embattled tower; and is good. There are a Wesleyan chapel, an endowed school with £10 a year, and charities £27.

Lilbourne through time

Lilbourne is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lilbourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lilbourne, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8054

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lilbourne ".