Place:


Ellastone  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ellastone like this:

ELLASTONE, a village, a township, and a parish in the district of Ashborne, and county of Staffo The village stands about a mile from the river Dove, 2 miles NW of Norbury r. station, and 5 SW by W of Ashborne; has a post office under Ashborne; and is a seat of petty sessions. The township includes the village. ...


Real property, £5, 868. Pop., 384. Houses, 72. The parish includes also the townships of Calwich, Prestwood, Wootton, Ramshorn, and Stanton. Acres, 7, 970. Real property, £9, 925. Pop., 1, 230. Houses, 239. The property is divided among a few. An ancient camp occurs at Weaver Hill; and ancient coins have been found there. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Stanton, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £154.* Patron, W. D. Bromley, Esq. The church is ancient, with a tower; has monuments of the Fleetwoods; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £5. Archbishop Sheldon was a native.

Ellastone through time

Ellastone is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ellastone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ellastone in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8046

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ellastone ".