Place:


Cotton  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cotton like this:

COTTON, or Lower and Upper Cotton, a township. chapelry in Alton parish, Stafford; near the Uttoxeter canal and the North Stafford railway, 2 miles ENE of Oakamoor r. station, and 5 NE of Cheadle. Post town, Oakamoor, under Stafford. Real property, £1, 954. Pop., 446. Houses, 88. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £44. Patron, the Vicar of Alton. The church was built in 1795; and there is a Roman Catholic chapel

Cotton through time

Cotton is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cotton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cotton in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8013

Date accessed: 12th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cotton ".