Place:


Cheswardine  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cheswardine like this:

CHESWARDINE, a township and a parish in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The township lies on the verge of the county, adjacent to the Birmingham and Liverpool canal, 4½ miles SSE of Market-Drayton r. station, and 7½ N by W of Newport; and has a post office under Market-Drayton. The parish includes also the townships of Chipnall, Goldstone, Ellerton, Sambrook, and Sowdley. ...


Acres, 5, 723. Real property, £9, 564. Pop., 1, 159. Houses, 225. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £245.* Patron, E. W. Harding, Esq. The church was built in 1809; but has the tower of a previous edifice. Charities, £59.

Cheswardine through time

Cheswardine is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cheswardine itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cheswardine, in North Shropshire and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/8000

Date accessed: 19th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cheswardine ".