Place:


Eston  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eston like this:

ESTON, a village and a chapelry in Ormsby parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the ascent of Barnaby-Moor or Eston-Nab, near the Middlesborough and Saltburn railway, 2 miles S of the estuary of the Tees, and 5½ NW by W of Guisborough; and has a post office‡ under Middlesborough, and a station with telegraph on the railway. ...


The chapelry comprises 1, 919 acres of land and 835 of water. Real property, £23, 508; of which £18, 450 are in iron-works. Pop. in 1851, 465; in 1861, 2, 835. Houses, 518. The increase of population arose mainly from the opening of extensive ironstone works, and the establishment of blast furnaces. The property is much subdivided. Eston-Nab is a detached hill, 784 feet high; has remains of an ancient camp; commands a fine prospect; and possesses interest in great modern quarries and ironstone pits. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ormsby, in the diocese of York. The church is good.

Eston through time

Eston is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eston, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/80

Date accessed: 25th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eston ".