Place:


Chebsey  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chebsey like this:

CHEBSEY, a township and a parish in Stone district, Stafford. The township lies on the river Sow and on the Grand Junction railway, 1¼ mile S of Norton-Bridge station, and 2 E of Eccleshall. Real property, £7, 102. Pop., 472. Houses. 94. The parish contains also the township of Cold-Norton; and its post town is Eccleshall. ...


Acres, 4, 172. Real property, £8, 900. Pop., 514. Houses, 99. The manor belonged to the Hastings family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £285.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. The church is old; and the churchyard formerly had a curious obelisk.

Chebsey through time

Chebsey is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chebsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chebsey, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7994

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chebsey ".