Place:


Chartley Holme  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chartley Holme like this:

CHARTLEY-HOLME, or Chartley-Lodge, an extra parochial tract in the district and county of Stafford; adjacent to Stowe parish, 5½ miles SW by W of Uttoxeter. Real property, £9, 126. Pop., 36. Houses, 7. It belonged to the De Blandeville, the Ferrars, the Devereux, and the Shirley families; and belongs now to Earl Ferrers. ...


The main features of it are Chartley Park and Chartley Castle, the seat of Earl Ferrers; the latter a modern structure, burnt in 1847. Other objects are the tower of a castle, built in 1220 by Richard de Blandeville, and two round towers of a timbered house which was the prison of Mary Queen of Scots, and burnt in 1781.

Chartley Holme through time

Chartley Holme is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chartley Holme itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chartley Holme, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7992

Date accessed: 09th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chartley Holme ".