Place:


Calwich  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Calwich like this:

CALWICK, a township in Ellastone parish, Stafford; on the river Dove,

3½ miles SW of Ashborne. Pop., 85. Houses, 22. A black priory was founded here, in the 12th century, by Fitz-Nigell; and given, at the dissolution, to John Fleetwood. Calwick Hall is the seat of the Granvilles; and has a fine collection of pictures.

Calwich through time

Calwich is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Calwich itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Calwich in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7987

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Calwich ".