Place:


Cauldon  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cauldon like this:

CAULDON, a parish in Cheadle district, Stafford; on the river Hamps, 3½ miles ENE of Froghall r. station, and 7 WNW of Ashborne. Post Town, Ashborne. Acres, 1,458. Real property, £2,985; of which £1,044 are in quarries. Pop., 400. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. ...


Much of the surface is barren moor. Excellent limestone is extensively quarried on the lofty hill of Cauldon-Lowe; and sent, on a railway of three inclined planes, to Froghall. Good fossil marble also is found; and limestone is burnt. The river Hamps runs a long distance, in the neighbourhood, underground. Urns and flint-headed arrows have been found at BigLowe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £80. Patron, A. Henniker, Esq. The church has a square tower; and contains monuments to the Croppers, Wilmots, Marshalls, and Wheldons.

Cauldon through time

Cauldon is now part of Staffordshire Moorlands district. Click here for graphs and data of how Staffordshire Moorlands has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cauldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cauldon in Staffordshire Moorlands | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7984

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cauldon ".