Place:


Hartwell  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hartwell like this:

HARTWELL, a village and a parish in Potterspury district, Northamptonshire. The village stands near the boundary with Bucks, 2 miles SE of Roade r. station, and 7¼ SSE of Northampton; and has a post office under Northampton. The parish comprises 1,850 acres. Real property, £2, 367. ...


Pop., 542. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborongh. Value, £120.* Patron, H. Castleman, Esq. The church was built in 1851; is in the Norman style; consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle; and includes a fine Norman arcade, removed from the previous church. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £22.

Hartwell through time

Hartwell is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hartwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hartwell in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7982

Date accessed: 01st July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hartwell ".