Place:


Heysham  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heysham like this:

HEYSHAM, a village and a parish in the district and county of Lancaster. The village stands on Morecambe bay, 3 miles SSW of Poulton r. station, and 5 W by S of Lancaster; and has a post office under Lancaster. The parish comprises 1, 704 acres. Real property, £3, 803. Pop., 567. Houses, 116. ...


Heysham Hall, Heysham Lodge, and Heysham Tower are chief residences. The parish is a resort for summer residents. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £504.* Patron, the Rev. John Royds. The church stands on the summit of a rock, near the bay; is partly Norman, partly of later dates; includes an aisle added in 1864; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a belfry. Remains of an ancient oratory are on a hill above the church; and several sepulchral excavations are in the solid rock. Remains of a Roman Catholic chapel, which belonged to the Stanleys, are at High Heysham. There are a Wesleyan preaching room and an endowed school.

Heysham through time

Heysham is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Heysham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heysham, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/798

Date accessed: 23rd January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Heysham ".