Place:


Billinge  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Billinge like this:

BILLINGE, a village, two townships, and a chapelry in Wigan parish, Lancashire. The village stands 2 miles S of Orrel r. station, and 4½ SW by W of Wigan; and has a post office under Wigan. The townships are called Billinge-Chapel-End and Billinge-Higher-End. Acres of B.-Chapel-End, 1,129. ...


Real-property, £11,309; of which £7,580 are in mines. Pop., 2,015. Houses, 389. Acres of B.-Higher-End, 1,549. Real property, £5,616; of which £2,000 are in mines, and £641 in quarries. Pop., 1,051. Houses, 204. Billinge Hill here is 633 feet high; has a beacon on the top; and commands a view on one side to Ingleborough, on another to the Welsh mountains. Some of the inhabitants are employed in cotton-mills. The chapelry consists of the two townships; and is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £403.* Patron, the Rector of Wigan. The church is good. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £117.

Billinge through time

Billinge is now part of St Helens district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Helens has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Billinge itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Billinge, in St Helens and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/794

Date accessed: 24th October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Billinge ".