Place:


Barton under Needwood  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barton under Needwood like this:

BARTON-UNDER-NEEDWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Burton-upon-Trent district, Stafford. The village stands near Icknield-street, the Grand Trunk canal, the river Trent, and the Birmingham and Derby railway, 1 mile W of Barton and Walton station, and 5½ SW of-Burton-upon-Trent. It has a post office‡ under Burton-upon-Trent; is in the honour of Tutbury, and a seat of courts; and has fairs on 3 May and 28 Nov. ...


Several fine villas are in the neighbourhood. The chapelry includes the village, and is in the parish of Tatenhill. Acres, 3,520. Real property, £12,054. Pop., 1,589. Houses, 359. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £135.* Patron, the Dean of Lichfield. The church is later English; and was built, in the time of Henry VIII., by Dr. John Taylor, a native of the village. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Two endowed schools have £60, and other charities £39.

Barton under Needwood through time

Barton under Needwood is now part of East Staffordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Staffordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barton under Needwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barton under Needwood in East Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7879

Date accessed: 18th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barton under Needwood ".