Place:


Adbaston  Staffordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Adbaston like this:

ADBASTON, a township and a parish in the district of Newport-Salop and county of Stafford. The township lies near the Grand Junction canal, 4½ miles W by S of Eccleshall, and 6 SW of Standon-Bridge r. station; and has a post office under Newport-Salop. Real property, £2,329. Pop., 210. ...


Houses, 40. The parish contains also the townships of Flashbrook, Bishops-Offlow, and Tunstall. Acres, 4,560. Real property, £6,895. Pop. 593. Houses, 116. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £100.* Patron, the Dean of Lichfield. The church is good. Charities, £8. Adbaston gave the title of Viscount to Earl Whitworth.

Adbaston through time

Adbaston is now part of Stafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Adbaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Adbaston, in Stafford and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7852

Date accessed: 24th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Adbaston ".