Place:


Woodborough  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodborough like this:

WOODBOROUGH, a parish, with a straggling village, in Basford district, Notts; 3 miles WNW of Lowdham r. station, and 7½ NE of Nottingham. It has a post-office under Nottingham. Acres, 1,940. Real property, £3,950. Pop., 893. Houses, 200. The property is divided chiefly among four. ...


W. Hall is the seat of M. Parkyns, Esq. A Roman settlement was here. Frame-work-knitting and brick-making are carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £118. Patron, the Chapter of Southwell. The church is tolerable. There are three dissenting chapels, an endowed school with £110 a year, and some charities.

Woodborough through time

Woodborough is now part of Gedling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gedling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Woodborough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodborough, in Gedling and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7824

Date accessed: 04th August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Woodborough ".