Place:


Wellow  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wellow like this:

WELLOW, a parish, with a village, in Southwell district, Notts; 6¼ miles SW of Tuxford r. station. It has a post-office under Newark. Acres, 991. Real property, £1,615. Pop. in 1851, 597; in 1861, 468. Houses, 114. The decrease of pop. was caused by depression in the chair manufacture. ...


The manor belongs to the Earl of Scarborough. W. Hall is the seat of W. S. Ward, Esq. Jordan Castle was a fortified seat of Jordan Foliot. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100. Patron, the Earl of Scarborough. The church is chiefly of brick, and recently was bad. There are two Methodist chapels, an hospitaland dispensary, and charities £9.

Wellow through time

Wellow is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wellow itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wellow, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7808

Date accessed: 09th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wellow ".