Place:


Sutton Bonington  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton Bonington like this:

SUTTON-BONNINGTON, a village and two parishes in the district of Loughborough and county of Nottingham. The village stands near the river Soar, 1 mile S by E of Kegworth r. station, and 10½ SSW of Nottingham; and has a post-office under Loughborough. The parishes are St. Ann and St. Michael. ...


Acres, 1,910. Real property, £6,266. Pop., 381 and 638. Houses, 92 and 154. The manor of St. Ann belongs to W. Paget, Esq.; and that of St. Michael, to G. E. Paget, Esq. The livings are rectories in the diocese of Lincoln. Value of St. A., £270;* of St. M., £700.* Patron of St. A., the Lord Chancellor; of St. M., the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church of St. A. is old; and that of St. M. is a fine edifice, with tower and lofty spire. There are two dissenting chapels, an endowed school for boys with £52 a year, a subscription school for girls, and charities £12.

Sutton Bonington through time

Sutton Bonington is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton Bonington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton Bonington, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7777

Date accessed: 21st January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton Bonington ".