Place:


Sutton cum Lound  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton Cum Lound like this:

SUTTON-CUM-LOUND, a parish, with two townships, in East Retford district, Notts; on the Great Northern railway, 3 miles NNW of East Retford. It has a post-office, of the name of Lound, under Retford, and a r. station, of the name of Sutton. Acres, 4,370. Real property, £6,748. Pop., 916. ...


Houses, 216. Sutton manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; and Lound manor, to the Duke of Portland. The living is a vicarage, united with Scrooby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £185. Patron, the Duke of Portland. The church was restored in 1856; and a chapel of ease was built at Lound in 1858. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £27 a year, and charities £5.

Sutton cum Lound through time

Sutton Cum Lound is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton Cum Lound itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton cum Lound, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7775

Date accessed: 12th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton Cum Lound ".