Place:


West Stockwith  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Stockwith like this:

STOCKWITH (West), a township-chapelry, with a village, in Misterton parish, Notts; on the river Trent, at the junction of the Chesterfield cana1, opposite East S., 4 miles NNW of Gainsborough r. station. It has a post-office under Gainsborough, a fair on 4 Sept., and a ferry. Real property, £2,791. Pop. in 1851, 654; in 1861, 538. Houses, 137. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £220.* Patrons, Trustees. There are two Methodist chapels, an endowed school, and some alms houses.

West Stockwith through time

West Stockwith is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Stockwith itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Stockwith, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7766

Date accessed: 21st September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Stockwith ".