Place:


Scrooby  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scrooby like this:

SCROOBY, a parish, with a village, in East Retford district, Notts; on the Great Northern railway, 1½ mile S of Bawtry. It has a r. station. Acres, 1, 520. Post-town, Bawtry. Real property, £2, 980. Pop., 256. Houses, 61. The manor belongs to the Archbishop of York; and the manor-house was a palace of the Arch-bishops. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Sutton-on-Lound, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is early English; and has a pinnacled tower, and a lofty spire.

Scrooby through time

Scrooby is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scrooby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scrooby, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7752

Date accessed: 25th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Scrooby".