Place:


Rufford  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rufford like this:

RUFFORD, an extra-parochial liberty in Southwell district, Notts; 2 miles S S W of Ollerton. Acres, 10, 320. Real property, £5, 260. Pop., 420. Houses, 74. The manor, with Rufford Abbey, belongs to H. Savile, Esq. A Cistertian monastery, a cell to Rievaulx abbey, stoodon the site of R. Abbey; was founded, in 1148, by Gilbert de Ghent; and was given to the Talbots. A Romansettlement also was in Rufford. Much of the land isunder wood.

Rufford through time

Rufford is now part of Newark and Sherwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newark and Sherwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rufford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rufford, in Newark and Sherwood and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7745

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rufford ".