Place:


Rampton  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rampton like this:

RAMPTON, a village and a parish in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands 1½ mile W of the river Trent, 2½ S S E of Leverton r. station, and 6½ E S E of East Retford; and has a post-office under Newark. The parish comprises 2, 155 acres. Real property, £4, 219. ...


Pop., 496. Houses, 99. The manor, with R. House, belonged to the Babingtons; passed to the Stanhopes and the Eyres; and belongs now to H. Eyre, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £260.* Patron, the Prebendary of Southwell. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a lofty tower; and contains monuments of the Babingtons, the Stanhopes, and the Eyres. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a free school, and charities £17.

Rampton through time

Rampton is now part of Bassetlaw district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bassetlaw has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rampton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rampton, in Bassetlaw and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7735

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Rampton ".