Place:


Owthorpe  Nottinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Owthorpe like this:

OWTHORPE, a parish in Bingham district, Notts; on the Grantham canal and adjacent to the Fosse way, 4¼ miles S S E of Ratcliffe r. station, and 4¾ S S W of Bingham. Post-town, Cotgrave, under Nottingham. Acres, 1, 700. Real property, £1, 589. Pop., 112. Houses, 25. Owthorpe Hall was the seat of Col. Hutchinson, whose " Memoirs" were written by his wife. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £70. Patron, Sir Henry Bromley, Bart. The church is old, has a tower, and contains monuments of the Hutchinsons.

Owthorpe through time

Owthorpe is now part of Rushcliffe district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rushcliffe has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Owthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Owthorpe, in Rushcliffe and Nottinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7723

Date accessed: 04th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Owthorpe ".