Place:


Stowupland  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowupland like this:

STOW-UPLAND, a parish in Stow district, Suffolk; suburban to Stowmarket, and containing S. r. station. Acres, 2,841. Real property, £7,709; of which £250 are in gasworks. Pop., 986. Houses, 204. The manor belongs to Lord Ashburnham. Upland Hall is the seat of T. Strutt, Esq. Two ancient moated halls are now farm-houses. ...


The living is a vicarage, annexed to Stowmarket. Trinity chapelry, with a pop. of 793, was constituted in 1844; and the living of it is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £100. Patron, the Vicar of Stowmarket. The church was built in 1843. There are a dissenting chapel and a poors' estate £65.

Stowupland through time

Stowupland is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stowupland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowupland in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7719

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stowupland ".