Place:


Stanstead  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanstead like this:

STANSTEAD, a parish, with a village, in Sudbury district, Suffolk; 57hr. miles NN W of Sudbury r. station. Post town, Sudbury. Acres, 1,162. Real property, £1,983. Pop., 382. Houses, 83. The manor belongs to E. S. Bence, Esq. Spring Hall is the seat of Capt. Tyssen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £277.* Patron, the Rev. S. Sheen. The church is old. Charities, £18.

Stanstead through time

Stanstead is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanstead, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7703

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanstead ".