Place:


Sproughton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sproughton like this:

SPROUGHTON, a parish, with a village, in Samford district, Suffolk; on the river Gipping, 3 miles W by N of Ipswich r. station. It has a postal letter-box under Ipswich. Acres, 2,393. Real property, £4,897. Pop., 598. Houses, 144. The Manor House, the Chauntry, Boss Hall, and Stone Lodge are chief residences. Beech water is a fine lake, skirted with trees. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £519.* Patron, the Marquis of Bristol. The church was recently restored. There is a national school.

Sproughton through time

Sproughton is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sproughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sproughton, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7700

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sproughton ".