Place:


Croughton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Croughton like this:

CROUGHTON, a parish in Brackley district, Northampton; contiguous with Bucks, 3½ miles SW of Brackley town a r. station. It has a post office under Brackley. Acres, 2, 620. Real property, £2, 851. Pop., 580. Houses, 122. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £600. Patron, the Rev. J. Lister. The church is Norman; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with low square tower; and is in tolerable condition. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Dr. Friend, the author of " History of Physic, " was a native.

Croughton through time

Croughton is now part of South Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Croughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Croughton in South Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7690

Date accessed: 05th August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Croughton ".