Place:


Earl Soham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Earl Soham like this:

SOHAM-EARL, or East S., a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Plomesgate district, Suffolk. The village stands 3½ miles W of Framlingham r. station; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Wickham-Market, and a fair on 23 July. The parish comprises 1,944 acres. Real property, £4,456. ...


Pop., 745. Houses, 101. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £607.* Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a free school, and charities £91. -The sub-district contains seven parishes. Acres, 9,722. Pop., 2,629. Houses, 381.

Earl Soham through time

Earl Soham is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Earl Soham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Earl Soham in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7686

Date accessed: 29th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Earl Soham ".