Place:


Cottesbrooke  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cottesbrooke like this:

COTTESBROOK, a parish in Brixworth district, Northampton; on an affluent of the river Nen, 2¾ miles WSW of Lamport r. station, and 3 NW of Brixworth. Post town, Lamport, under Northampton. Acres, 2, 780. Real property, £5, 387. Pop., 201. Houses, 46. The property is all in one estate. ...


Cottesbrook House is the seat of Sir J. Langham, Bart. Traces exist of a small priory, which was a cell to Sulby abbey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £400.* Patron, Sir J. Langham, Bart. The church is good. An alms-hospital, founded in 1655, by John Langham, Esq., has £60 from endowment; and other charities £7.

Cottesbrooke through time

Cottesbrooke is now part of Daventry district. Click here for graphs and data of how Daventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cottesbrooke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cottesbrooke, in Daventry and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7674

Date accessed: 15th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cottesbrooke ".